How can I find out if I am still married or not anymore if I don't have a court date yet but the divorce has been filed 4 months ago? 16 Answers as of April 18, 2013

My husband filed for divorce without telling me. I got my divorce papers 4 months ago it was so hard for me. He emailed me 3 months ago telling me he want a divorce soon as possible without explanation. It has been four months and I still don’t have a court date. Am I still married or divorced?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
You need to contact the county in which the divorce was filed. The clerk will be able to tell you the status of your case.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/18/2013
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
If you have received nothing from the court then you are still married. You can check on line for the status of your case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/17/2013
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
You should have responded within 30 days and now your spouse could have obtained the Divorce without your participation. Call the Court Clerk and they will look it up for you or go on the Superior Court? Website where the Divorce was filed.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/17/2013
Hanna Legal, LLC
Hanna Legal, LLC | Jen Hanna
If you're in Wisconsin, look the case up on CCAP (google Wisconsin CCAP to find the web site). Unless you missed a hearing, you're not yet divorced, but the case information online can help you figure out the status.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 4/17/2013
Law Office of Madaen | Bahram Madaen
You should go to the same court to find out. It is easy. Also, you need to prepare and file your response to his petition. If you have child or property, then the court has to adjudicate these issues. You should take this matter in your hand or hire somebody to do for you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2013
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    Check in the county clerk's office in the county in which the case was filed.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    The odds of you being divorced under these facts is 0%
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
    If you were personally served with the divorce papers, then after 41 days if you do not respond or appear in the proceeding, then your husband can then file to get a default divorce granted in the case. If you have the index number from the case when you were served with the papers, then you can look it up on ecourts to see if the case has been disposed. Usually you do not have a court date scheduled if a spouse files for a default divorce which is why you would not have been sent anything from the courts about a court date. However, if your husband did file for a default divorce, it often times takes up to 4 months after he submits the final papers before it will be granted. Therefore, if you were only just served with the papers 4 months ago, more likely than not the divorce has not been granted. You should still look up the case on ecourts, or go to the county clerk of where the case was filed to ensure that the divorce judgment was not granted.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    Go to the court and see what has been filed in your case (ask how you can review your case file). Get copies of anything you don't already have. Make sure you have filed your response, otherwise, he can file a Default against you anytime at least 30 days after you are served the divorce papers. In California, there is a mandatory six month waiting period before you are eligible for divorce, but unless one of you move the case forward toward a default, a trial, or a settlement agreement, the case will not be finalized. Seek legal help if you are unsure of your status after you have copies of everything that has been filed to date.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
    Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
    You will have to check with the court where your case was filed. If you didn't file a response to the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, then it is possible that your husband could request a default.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    Your court case number and the court you are in are on your pleadings. You can look up your case status online in many jurisdictions, or you can locate the number of the court clerk and make an inquiry by telephone.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    M. Judith Barnett, P.A.
    M. Judith Barnett, P.A. | Jeanine Carafello
    You need to call the clerk of the Court where the documents were filed to find out the status of whether or not a Judgment was entered or if there is a hearing date scheduled.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Reade & Associates
    Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
    In Nevada, many courts have online dockets where you can enter your name and see the case history. For those courts that do not have online dockets, you can go to the Office of Clerk of the Court.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    Unless you had notice of a court date, you are still married. By statute there is a 120 day waiting period before a divorce can be granted but the court won't grant it without an agreement or a contested divorce hearing.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Danville Law Group | Scott Jordan
    You are probably still married. To find out the status, you can go to the court where the divorce petition was filed and review the file. Or, you can look it up online on the court's website.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    It is impossible for me to answer your question based upon the facts which you presented. It is clear that you should be seeing an attorney regarding this matter immediately.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/16/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney