How can I find out if a company has a deficiency suit against me, or if it has been dropped? 8 Answers as of April 28, 2016

My house sold before it was foreclosed on, 6 months ago, and I've received nothing from the bank in terms of a deficiency that was against me on the court papers.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
It sounds like you did a short sale. Sometimes in a short sale, the bank gives up its right to collect on a deficiency. To find out ask a lawyer to review the documents you signed with the bank setting up the short sale.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 4/28/2016
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
You mention court papers. Go to the county courthouse where the papers were filed and look at the case. It would be very unusual to have a judicial (court) foreclosure. Most California foreclosures are statutory or non judicial and there is no deficiency judgment. If you have a second or third mortgage or a HELOC then you might face a lawsuit from one of those. It would be worthwhile to see a knowledgeable local real estate attorney for advice. I don't see any bankruptcy question here and even so you are better off speaking to someone who can access all the facts.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/25/2016
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Pay an experienced real estate lawyer to look at the Public Trustee file for you.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 4/25/2016
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Check with the court, or look at the sale papers. The deficiency might have been waived as part of the sale.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/25/2016
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You can contact the bank. Or you can call the lawyer who signed the Summons and Complaint. Or, if your state has a public database (many do: in Wisconsin it's call CCAP or WCCA), you can check your name on the database, which should bring up a link to the record of the foreclosure action. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 4/25/2016
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    There would be no deficiency suit if your home was not foreclosed on.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/25/2016
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    I suggest you check the court records for your name. BTW, if you have moved, you need to proactively advise your creditors of your new address or you will find that you may be SERVED by publication in the classified section of an obscure newspaper.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/25/2016
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    You have to look at the court docket. If they have a judgement against you, the fact that they have done nothing for 6 months means nothing.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/25/2016
Click to View More Answers: