How can I find out if a child is mine without paying thousands of dollars? 2 Answers as of September 16, 2011

CPS has a two year old boy that I thought was mine, but she told me he was not my son. CPS took him away from his mother because the mother's boyfriend abandoned him. I went to jail and asked her again if the child was mine. She said no. They are taking her rights away 9/13/2011. I saw a picture of the child. I think he is my son. He looks just like my five year old. I would like to do a paternity test. I am an oil field hand and I don't have five or six thousand dollars to fight CPS. Can't I just go to the hearing stand up for myself and talk to the judge?

Yes, you can simply ask the Judge for DNA. Appear at the hearing, tell the Judge what you said here, that you have been under the belief he is your son, but Mom said he is not. You are therefore asking for DNA to determine if you have standing to fight for custody (even if you do not plan to do so). Another option is to call the CPS caseworker, advise them of these facts and ask if they will assist by getting the young man to the clinic or at least make him available for the buccal swab (it is done just like it appears on CSI - a long cotton swab on a stick to get epithelial cells from the inside of the mouth. One from you, one from your son, and hopefully one from Mom (it is more accurate with all three). DNA analysis is done, your profile (a series of numeric markers) are compared to your son's and the same for Mom. 1-800-dna-test will send a kit - or they used to, however the State has a contract with LabCorps and if CPS will arrange the test, it is cheaper and the State may even pay the cost up front for you. Look at it this way, assume your genome #1 is "14, 16" you got one of those markers from your father and the other from your mother. Your son should have the same, two genetic markers, one from you, and one from Mom. So, if the boy's genetic marker for genome #1 is "14,19" this is one indicator he is your biological son (he got 14 from you and the 19 from Mom) but keep in mind the reason Mom's DNA is important is this - same scenario, what if Mom's genome #1 has "14,22" markers. Where did the 19 come from? We have to assume the 14, in this case, came from Mom. At the end of the day, there are multiple mapped genomes (I think 14 currently) so if you match on all 14 - 99.999% probability he is your genetic offspring, even if Mom's DNA is not present. Even if you miss one marker the odds are very high, some genomes can be recessive, however, if you miss 2 or more markers, Mom's DNA becomes more important.