How can I find out if any medical malpractice occurred? 3 Answers as of March 08, 2011

My 30 month old boy recently went thru a tonsillectomy. Mom and I were expecting to see him about 45 minutes after the surgery, but instead about 2 hours later we had the doctor come to us and let us know that there had been a complication(told us this in the room where about other 8 people, not related to our case were listening to him as well). Specialist told us he had a hard time waking out of anesthesia and had low oxygen saturation, but could not tell us why this happened. Instead of taking our son home, we ended up at the childrens hospital where our son was to be monitored for a period of 24 hours. We spent about 50 hours at the hospital. Doctors there didnt tell us much either, but that the low saturation might have been caused by the anesthesia or by a weakness behind the tonsils ( I understand that there is a test that checks for that weakness to see if it could be a problem during surgery, but this was not done on our son and we were never told about this risk). Our son is doing ok now with the exception that he now wakes up crying in the middle of the night shaking up badly. We don't know what happened to our son during operation and why it took them 2 hours instead of 45 minutes to come and talk to us. How can I find out if any malpractice did occur during his procedure? How do we find out if he will have any other problems because of all the trauma he's gone thru? We are worried and feel we should have not put him thru this. What steps do you recommend? Thank you for your time.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
Medical Malpractice cases require the opinion of a medical doctor in the same field. You will need to get son's records and have doctor review them. Contact a med mal attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/8/2011
Law Office of Curry & Westgate
Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
You must make an appointment with a medical malpractice attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: