How can I find my account or anything? 11 Answers as of May 29, 2014

I broke my growth plate in my ankle and sued because the company refused to clean and remove their tree stumps. My suit was settled and won 4 years ago. I am turning 18 in a few months. My family is very sneaky and deceitful.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
Go to the courthouse to see who the attorney was who represented you, or, if no attorney, the attorney representing the other side. Call either to see if you can be given paperwork. If no lawsuit was filed, then the amount of the settlement was so low it was not required to be filed to settle the case. You should also retain an attorney to see if you can file a lawsuit after you turn 18. Note that any lawsuit you file has to be filed before you turn 19.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 5/29/2014
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
Get a hold of the attorney that represented your interests and ask what money will be received and when. If you don't know who the attorney is look up your case in the court in which it was brought (online if they have that service or in person if not) and you will be able to id your attorney. Also the local Probate Court may have a file if more than $5k was paid out when you were a minor.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/5/2014
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
The money should have been placed in a blocked acct. You can look at the court file to see the name of the bank. If you don?t have a case no., you can index it at the court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
Your money is in a ?blocked account?. Check with the lawyer who handles the case for the location of the account. You can also look at the court files if there was a lawsuit originally filed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Since you were a minor at the time, your funds are being held in trust and requires a court order for their release. You can check with the court records on where the money is being held.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/2/2014
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    Look up the court file it should tell you all you want to know.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Why don't you contact the lawyer who handled the case. you can also go to the courthouse and see the court file. If money is being held for you in court you can ask the clerk of court about that
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
    The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
    Assuming your settlement was for more than $10,000, when you turn 18 your parents (or whoever was appointed as your tutor) would be responsible for filing a final accounting. If they fail or refuse to do so, you can ask the court to force them to. If they've mishandled your money, you can sue them for that.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    Check the court records for the court approval of the settlement. The petition for approval of the settlement should be in the court file. The information might also be available on CCAP, the web site Circuit Court Access Program.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP
    Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP | Robert M. Gardner, Jr.
    A guardian should have been appointed for you by the local probate court. You can start there, but may need to hire your own attorney to look into things.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Start with the County Clerk's office. The case would have been brought in your name or one of your parents. You can get a copy of the court order approving the settlement. That will give you the name of the attorney. Call the attorney and ask what bank the the trust account was set up in (that might be in the court order as well). This will give you the information about the terms of the settlement and when you can have access to your funds.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/2/2014
Click to View More Answers: