How can I find more information on truancy laws and my ticket? 2 Answers as of July 12, 2011

My daughter was given a truancy ticket; however, she had permission from her ROP teacher, (She volunteers at a hospital during 1st and 2nd period) to miss those two periods so she will be able to attend an assembly during 2nd(At her school) . She missed her bus; therefore missing part of the assembly and while she was about to walk into school a police officer told her to meet him in his office. My question is: 1) How much do truancy tickets cost? 2) Money is difficult right now so is there any alternatives such as community service and how much will range? 3) If she had permission from her teacher not to attend the periods she missed, is the ticket still valid especially since it was given in school grounds? Thank you for your help trying to understand the truancy law.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
It seems that your daughter may have a valid legal defense to truancy charges. You will need to get a written statement from her ROP teacher who gave her permission to be absent. The matter will be handled in juvenile court and in most cases, with a juvenile with no prior criminal history the court will allow her to attend classes or do some community service in lieu of a substantial fine.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/12/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Pay to consult with an attorney. Go to the law library or on line to start researching it. Have her request a Public Defender. Of course you can fight it. Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly minimize the penalties. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: