How can I find more information on my green card and studying abroad? 3 Answers as of July 12, 2011

My greencard was approved almost a year ago, however, when I received the card, the USCIS misspelled my last name. I was told to send it back for them to change it. I did on february of 2011 and a couple of weeks later received a receipt saying the application had been received and to verify if the information was right. I called them and told them everything was perfect and they said that my card would take anywhere from 2-4 months. On May 2011, I got a letter from the USCIS saying I needed to go to a biometrics appointment, which I will go this Friday for the fingerprints. I am planning on going abroad for school around 5 months, but I don't know If i am allowed to leave the country. I was told that it could be done with a stamp on my passport. Can you please give me more information about it. I am lost and I am in desperate need of help!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Your underlying status is that of lawful permanent resident. You may have the card back by the time you want to travel. Otherwise hopefully you kept a copy of it and of the underlying approval notice. Make an appointment at your local DHS office using their infopass system. Bring proof of your school abroad and ask if they will give you an I-551 stamp which is a temporary green card. Be wary by the way of leaving for two long or DHS can take away your green card!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/12/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Go to USCIS website and click on Infopass. Schedule an apt. Go to the place and time indicated with your passport, your airline reservation, your I-90 receipt (original), original welcome notice, and copies of any documents you previously submitted to have the name corrected. Ask for a stamp. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/11/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You are ok to travel outside the U.S. if USCIS stamp the I-551 stamp onto your passport. Book an infopass appointment with your local USCIS office and they will give you the stamp on your passport.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: