How can I find a good lawyer to help my husband who has been falsely accused of rape? 3 Answers as of February 28, 2011

My Husband has been falsely accused by his Ex-wife of molesting her kids. She said it supposed to have happened about 7 years ago. One of the kids is now grown and the other one almost! What do we do? How do I know which lawyer is good? And how do I choose one. Where do I find a good Lawyer?

You are in a hairy predicament. First, the accusation of rape is very serious, carrying a penalty of life in prison if convicted, which means 30 years before the convicted person is eligible for parole. Second, because the consequences are so serious, experienced attorneys charge upwards of $ 25,000 to handle the case. Third, because the fee is so high, every attorney (competent and incompetent) will be trying to secure that client.

Here is where I would begin: (1) has the attorney handled a minimum of 100 major felony jury trials (i.e. murder, rape, armed robbery, child molestation, aggravated assault) (there is no substitute for experience) (I have more than200 major felony jury trials); how many jury trials did the attorney have in the last twelve to fourteen months (you need to know that his jury trial experience is current) (I have about ten major felony jury trials in the last fourteen months; and (3) meet with the attorney and see if you like him/her (are you made to feel comfortable).

Of course, I think that I am the attorney for you. Not only do I have more than 200 majro felony jury trials, but I have tried two rape cases this year. In January I won a rape case (see my website) and two weeks ago I lost a rape case, where my client made an admission on recording. I would love to have an opportunity to sit down with you and let you know what I can do for your loved one.
I am Richard Goolsby, Sr., of the Goolsby Law Firm, LLC, (706) 863-5281), located in Augusta, Georgia. I am a former federal and state prosecutor for over 26 years and now I handle criminal defense with my son. I would urge you to contact and retain an experienced criminal attorney as soon as possible! I have written on my blog about how to find a good criminal attorney. For instance, talk with family and friends, and always meet with the attorney and ask questions before retaining them. Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions. Good luck!
Giannini Law Office, PC
Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
Generally speaking, it is a good idea to start in the county in which the case is. Ask for a free consultation and meet with the attorney in-person, if possible. If the case is in Georgia and the attorney is devoted to practicing criminal defense then he/she should be a member of the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (GACDL). If not, I would consider that to be a red flag. He/she should also be a member of the county bar association. You can ask questions about how long the attorney has been practicing criminal law and what percentage of his/her practice devoted to criminal defense. Ask what the lawyer's plan for the case would be also. And, ask how many criminal jury trials the lawyer has handled. I am not impressed by lawyers who brag about having been prosecutors or judges in the past. Some of them may happen to be good defense lawyers. But, I do not think that being a state-paid prosecutor representing the government in your early days of practice provides the same necessary experience that being a self-employed defense lawyer does. The young prosecutor is getting that gauranteed goverment check plus benefits and that all important support staff of secretaries, investigators, and fellow prosecuting attorneys, plus the fullest possible cooperation from the police and most judges. Meanwhile, the young defense attorney is learning how to battle the DA's office, often uncooperative police officers, some very unfriendly to the defense judges, and laws that are heavily stacked in favor of the government, while at the same time consoling family members and advising the client. Yes, although I do know some excellent defense attorneys who were prosecutors, most of them are not worth a darn, IMHO. Again, I urge you to ask a lot of questions, speak to at least three attorneys in that county, and remember to ask how many criminal jury trials the attorney has tried. (Not bench trials - JURY TRIALS). An attorney who will not do jury trials often will be pleading your husband guilty, IMHO again. Good luck.