How can I file a petition for my fiance? 6 Answers as of August 04, 2011

I am a divorced us citizen (I got my citizenship thru my ex husband)..I have a bf in the Philippines. I am currently staying in the Philippines. I want to petition him. we're getting married next year 2012. What's the fastest way to petition him? get married in us, file a petition and come back in the philippines for our grand wedding ceremony? Or get married in the philippines, and since he has tourist visa we'll go to us together and file my petition for him? What's the processing time?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
One strategy is to file a fiance petition. This process takes a few months (maybe 6 to 9 mos). Then once in the U.S. you get married within 90 days of the entry. You could then return to the Philippines to have a more elaborate wedding ceremony.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/4/2011
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices | Hans Burgos
Upon getting married you should file a Petition for Relative (Form I-130); and then apply for a K-3 non-immigrant visa.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/3/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
The processing time is about the same for a K-1 fianc visa and the K-3 spouse visa. If you are in the Philippines already and can get married there. It will probably be faster to file for the K-3. Get married, return to the US, file the I-130, use the I-797 receipt notice to file the I-129F for the K-3, then after approval he applies for the visa at his home consulate.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/3/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Hello. The fastest way would be if you were together in the US and decide to marry here. However, he cannot come as a tourist with that preconceived intent. Therefore, the other option would be to file a K1/fiance visa now. This can take about 6 months to process. In addition, if you have Residency status in the Philippines, you can marry there and file directly at the consulate as well.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Either way will do. Check USCIS for processing time because it depends on what processing center you should file through.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: