How can I file a lawsuit against county jail? 6 Answers as of April 25, 2013

In 1995, I was beaten by four jailers in the state of Arkansas while I was handcuffed to a chair in the chapel room. I was hit, choked out and stomped on. I filed 1983 forms and went in front a magistrate judge who laughed at my case and me. She threw the case out. The jailers beat me again and locked me in segregation where I sat until I was sentenced at age 15 and given two 10-year sentences with 8 suspended and a 10 with six suspended. I have had many back problems, stomach problems, suffer mental probably now, and can't even get help anywhere.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
I am sure that it is too late. I am in Michigan; we have a 2 year Statute of Limitations. I doubt that Arkansas has a 15 or 20 year Statute.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/28/2012
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Your problem is time. It has been a long time since 1995. Don't know what the limitation is a Alabama but I am sure it is long gone. Why did you wait 17 years to talk about doing something if you were wronged?
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 12/12/2012
Diamond Fuquay, LLC
Diamond Fuquay, LLC | Ross Diamond
You have lost the first case and have waited too long to pursue a claim on the events after that.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 12/12/2012
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
You have waited too long. The only thing you could do now, would be to go to Arkansas and ask the jailers why they beat you. They would be retired now or in nursing homes.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 12/12/2012
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
It may be too late in terms of the limitations period and problems of proof. This really requires consultation with a lawyer highly experienced in civil rights and prison litigation. Fortunately we have several such lawyers in Madison. I am not one of them. You might contact the Wis. state bar's lawyer referral and information service.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 12/12/2012
Click to View More Answers: