How can I file for a divorce? 24 Answers as of November 07, 2011

My spouse has finally agreed that I can divorce him after all these years of trying on an off to make the marriage work. We are unable to get along at any length of time together. At this time he has been charged with a child molestation charge. This makes me very ill because I do not agree with people that do such things or want to have a affiliation with one that dose so.

Law Office of James Bordonaro
Law Office of James Bordonaro | James Albert Bordonaro
We are able to consult with clients in N. E. Kansas. The process takes a minimum of 60 days. If you don't have kids the process will go a lot faster and the Court will divide up your property. You may have a claim for alimony if you've been married for several years. Usually 10 but the court will look at the equities in each case.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Armand Fried
To file for divorce you either hire a lawyer or, if you want to do it yourself, you can go to the Family Court building at Bonanza and Pecos and go to the Self Help Center there. They have forms and instructions for you, and if he will sign, it is usually fairly straight forward. If you don't have the filing fees (around $280) you can ask the judge to waive those fees if you qualify. The Self Help Center has information about that as well.
Alfred Law Firm
Alfred Law Firm | Janice Alfred
I do not understand your question. All you have to do is file the petition for divorce in the county where you lived together and serve him.
You do not need your husband's permission to get a divorce. Michigan is a no-fault divorce state so all you need is irreconcilable differences.
Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
Go to the local supreme court yourself and ask for the pro se clerk and get a divorce package with instructions on filling it out. Or contact a local attorney, if the parties agree to the terms of the divorce it is deemed an uncontested divorce and most attorneys will handle such a case for relatively little money.
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
    You do not need a spouse's permission to get divorced. You will need to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage at your local Clerk of Court's office. Packets of all of the necessary documents are available at the Clerk's office, but it is often easier to hire a family law attorney in your area to help you through the process.
    I always suggest hiring a lawyer. Many people think they can do a "do-it-yourself" divorce but at the end of the day, you will have far too many questions without answers and the court personnel cannot give you legal advice.
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
    You can file for divorce regardless of the pending charge, but where and how you commence the divorce are the more important issues. What state were you married? How long were you married? Where have you been living the past 2 years? Where has your husband been living the past two years? In New York State, you can file for divorce if the marriage occurred in New York, and at least one of you has been living in New York for the past year. To do so, you need to file a summons and complaint in the Supreme Court of the county you reside, and then have your husband served with these papers, if he is not going to contest the divorce.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    You need to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, along with multiple other initial documents, in the county where you last resided together as Husband and Wife with the intent to remain married and have the documents served on him by a sheriff or process server.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
    You may file for divorce yourself or hire an attorney.
    Your best approach would be to hire a lawyer to file the papers for you. However, there are divorce sites on the Internet that may let you do the proceeding much more cheaply if that is the issue for you at this time. I suggest you call a divorce lawyer's office or two and ask how much it would cost to do it for you and then make a decision. Good luck.
    AyerHoffman, LLP
    AyerHoffman, LLP | Cara Lee Thompson
    You can file a complaint for divorce and have him served with the complaint and the summons. Or, if you agree on all terms of the divorce, you can file a joint petition for divorce. You should consult your local probate and family court with regard to the necessary paperwork that you will need to file, or you can consult with an attorney with regard to said paperwork and advice, if necessary.
    You need only file a divorce petition and serve him properly to commence this action to legally end your marriage.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    The first thing that you have to decide is whether you are going to have an attorney (me or someone else) handle the matter, or whether you are going to try to handle it yourself. If you decide to hire an attorney, set up an appointment with that person. He or she will tell you what you need to bring to the appointment. If you do decide to handle the matter yourself, then, the first thing you should probably do is buy a copy of one of the many good books on divorce in Washington and read that. One that I know some people have liked is Divorce Guide to Washington, by Mark Patterson, Sr.
    You just file a petition for dissolution of marriage. You don't need his consent to divorce.
    You do not need his permission to divorce him. He has been charged with what?
    Schwartz & Krysinski, LLP
    Schwartz & Krysinski, LLP | Howard A. Schwartz
    There are various grounds available to start a divorce in New York. One is a breakdown in the relationship. To start, one must buy an index number, make out a summons and personally serve the other party. It might be best to speak to an attorney, or research on the internet, before starting.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    Contact a local divorce attorney and work out the paperwork.
    Law Offices of Laurie Peters
    Law Offices of Laurie Peters | Laurie Peters
    You don't need your husband's permission to get divorced. This is a no fault state, and all you have to do is file and serve him to get the process started.
    Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC
    Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC | Daniel B. Rubanowitz
    You can fill out and file the various required forms yourself in order to obtain a divorce in California. However, given the limited information provided by you, combined with the fact that many issues come up when filing for divorce in California, you should strongly consider consulting with or hiring a Family Law Attorney to help you with your case.
    In Washington you file at your county superior court.