How can I file for divorce if my husband is living in another country? 2 Answers as of August 17, 2011

I just recently found out my husband is in his country and im living in NY. I filled out the divorce papers but havent sent them out. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C.
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Fredric Harlan Aaron
You will need to have your husband served with divorce papers in the country to which he has been deported. Your spouse can then complete the papers (if an uncontested divorce) or file an answer (if a contested divorce) through the apostle at the US consulate. You should retain an experienced attorney with foreign law and/or immigration law experience to assist you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/17/2011
Edward Papa, Esq.
Edward Papa, Esq. | Edward Papa
You need to establish jurisdiction in NY by serving the defendant with the papers. That will depend on which country he is in. It may be possible for your attorney to arrange the papers to be served by an international process server. This is not something you should attempt to do pro se.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: