How can I file for child support if the father lives in out of the country? 9 Answers as of November 06, 2012

I'm trying to help my sister get information. She has two children but the father lives in Nevis. The only information she has is his social security number. She needs to know the correct way to go about filing for child support for her kids.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Talk to a lawyer who dies family law as well as immigration/international law
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 11/6/2012
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
She needs to contact the local state child support enforcement agency or hire an attorney. Either way it will be possible to get a child support order, but collection may be a questionable proposition.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 11/5/2012
She needs to contact the District Attorney, Division of Child and Family Support.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/5/2012
Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
You can file a support action in a Michigan court. You will have to serve the father in some manner. Collection of the child support may be difficult depending on the situation but it is possible
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/4/2012
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
To initially save you money, talk to your local Friend of Court. Generally, that agency is pretty good.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/4/2012
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
    She should contact her local public child support agency. In Los Angeles, the local?public child support agency?is CSSD (Child Support Services Department).? Your county will have its own public child support agency.? The California Department of Child Support Services (DCSS)?may be?another place to seek information and assistance.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/4/2012
    John Russo | John Russo
    The same way as if he lived where you reside, the issue here is not where he is, it is notice to him there, every person subject to legal proceedings in this country has a right to notice of said proceedings, that does not mean telling, your aunt's cousin's, best friends wife's, daughter's boyfriend, who knows somebody that knows him to tell him. What it means is legal notice that meets the requirements of your jurisdiction, once he is served and the court has a certified return within the courts file then you will be allowed to proceed. Now even once you get the order then the order needs to be enforced, you may or may not ever receive anything, but at least get the order because it will continue to run until the child is emancipated, and if he ever returns to this country he will have major problems. And even after the child is emancipated the child can always go after him for the back support as long as he is breathing.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 11/4/2012
    Have her open a case with the Dept of Child Support Service and ask them to locate him using his social.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/4/2012
Click to View More Answers: