How can I file for chapter 7? 17 Answers as of October 04, 2012

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Norman Moore
Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
The easiest way is to contact an attorney who specializes in bankruptcy. You can also access bankruptcy forms from the Court website, but beware, bankruptcy can be tricky.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 10/4/2012
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
I get this question from time to time. I can not answer that here. I know nothing about the facts of your case and it would be impossible for me to speculate on every possible variation of facts. If you simply want the forms, they are on the court web site.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/4/2012
The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
I suggest that you consult with an attorney to discuss the specific details of your situation to ensure eligibility, that this is the proper chapter for you and to ensure that all debts are included all exemptions are made.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 10/4/2012
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
Please do not take this wrong, but you should go to an attorney. It is complicated and most people who file without representation (pro se) make mistakes that cost more to fix than it would have to hire counsel. Also, by hiring counsel, you have someone with you at the 341 Meeting and can make sure things go properly.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 10/4/2012
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
Hire an attorney. You have to determine whether you can qualify for chapter 7 first.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 10/4/2012
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    There are a minimum of 51 pages of information that must be filled out in the most simple of bankruptcy. Please understand that filing for bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 10/4/2012
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    You have to fill out the forms and file the petition with the bankruptcy court.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/4/2012
    Danville Law Group | Scott Jordan
    Filing for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy has four steps. First, you must complete the required Consumer Credit Counseling course furnished by an approved credit counseling agency. Second, you must fully complete the petition and all of the schedules and statement of information. Third, you must complete the Means Test to determine whether you are eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Once all of that is done, you must then file the petition, schedules, statement of information, creditor matrix and means test with your local bankruptcy court and pay the $306 filing fee (or request a waiver if you cannot afford the fee). However, before doing all of that, I recommend you speak with an attorney to determine your rights and to make sure you retain everything you are legally allowed to retain.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/4/2012
    Law offices of John P. Brooke | John Brooke
    You can either consult and retain an attorney who specializes in bankruptcy, which is usually the best option. Bankruptcy is not something that most pro se debtors can handle on their own. The petition itself is almost 50 pages and the assets and liabilities, as well as the correct exemptions, need to be properly scheduled. If you have assets that aren't exempt then there is a chance you can lose them. An experienced, qualified bankruptcy attorney can advise you of the exemption laws and whether you would need to do some bankruptcy planning beforehand. Most attorneys offer free, no obligation initial consultations so you don't have to worry about paying to be advised if this is a good route for you to take.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/4/2012
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
    The simplest way to start the process is to consult with a qualified bankruptcy attorney in your area. I (and most other attorneys, as well) offer free initial consultations to prospective clients in which we review your eligibility and advisability, conduct a liquidation analysis to protect your assets, go over the entire process, and answer any questions you may have. If you would like to schedule a free initial consultation, please contact me. I hope this information helps.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/4/2012
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    You should be able to get a free consultation in your case. They can explain the process.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 10/4/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney