How can I file back and not have to travel back? 2 Answers as of November 29, 2016

Apparently, I do not meet the residency requirements so I can't file here.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
First, your question is rather cryptic, so I will have to assume the following: (1) you have moved in the past six months (2) you want to file for divorce (3) the state where you currently live has a residency requirement With these assumptions in place, there are two options (depending on the states, you may have a third): First, you can wait until you do meet the residency requirements; or (second) you can hire a lawyer to file in the state where you do meet the residency requirements (your last address). Keep in mind, law is never simple - if you or your spouse are military different rules apply since almost every state distinguishes "residence" from "physical address" by adding a residence is where you intend to remain and military servicemen by that definition are not necessarily residents of the location where they live. For now, since you did not mention military service, this is not important. Some states offer a 3rd option - you can file and abate until you do meet the residency requirement. This is a little tricky, not a matter you want to try pro se, you do need a lawyer to get it done and a little cooperation or ignorance from the spouse helps. If you live in the North Texas area now, give me a call and we can discuss.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 11/29/2016
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
If your spouse is still in WA you can file here. By filing here you are putting yourself under the jurisdiction of the State of WA. If your spouse is not here, the question would be where he or she is since the court needs to have jurisdiction over the other party. If there is real property in WA (land or houses) you can also file here on that basis and because you both lived here during the marriage.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 11/23/2016
Click to View More Answers: