How can I enter the US? 1 Answers as of May 27, 2011

A total of 5 months and 4 days I've been outside US since I entered US (Dec 4, 2010-May 8,2011) as unconditional permanent resident. I came from Canada (Citizen). I am planning to visit my parents in my native land for 1 1/2 to 2 months. Will that be a problem? According to the immigration rules, if I am out of US for less than 6 months, that will still be not a problem, but more than 6 months , it will be a problem. So, 5 months and 4 days, then I will be out again for say 1 month and 15 days. That will be a total of 6 months and 19 days. Am I will be in trouble entering US? First time I am out of US was that I finished my study in Canada and backpack everything and this will be my second plan to be out of visit my sick father. Thank you so much whatever help you can give me or advice. I appreciate it in advance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Try filing for an I-191 Application to Return to Unrelinquished Domicile if you think you are going to be out of the US for longer than allowed. I believe you can get up to 2 years and still not lose your residency. Better be safe than sorry. The only thing is the time you will spend outside will not count towards your citizenship. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: