How can I ensure my girlfriend, not my kin, handles my estate? 10 Answers as of June 14, 2011

My living power of will, medical power of attorney and life insurance is in my girlfriend's name. How can I finalize that everything is controlled by and goes to her instead of?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
Your best bet is to use an Estate Planning Attorney to assist you in this process to ensure your wishes are best represented. A trust usually has less challenge, though a Will may be sufficient.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 6/14/2011
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
In California your will and trust will control the distribution of your estate. Power of attorney is terminated when you die. If you have any doubt about the sufficiency of your documents see an estate planning attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/14/2011
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
Generally you would need a will naming her as Executrix and to distribute any additional assets.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 6/13/2011
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
Make out a Will that says exactly that. Consult with an estate attorney to plan the whole thing out properly. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/13/2011
Sweeney & Sweeney
Sweeney & Sweeney | J.Leonard Sweeney, III
Make sure you draft a proper will or trust.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 6/13/2011
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    You should talk with an estate planning lawyer to draw up a will and make sure she will be qualified to serve as a Florida appointed PR.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/13/2011
    The Schreiber Law Firm
    The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
    A will or a trust specifically names her.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/13/2011
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    You can make sure that everything is handled by this person by appointing her as your (1) Power of Attorney; (2) Heath Care Agent/Proxy (with HIPAA authorization); and (3) Executor of your Last Will & Testament. However, you should speak about this in much greater detail with an Estate Planning attorney, who can then advise you accordingly and draft the necessary documents for your execution.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 6/13/2011
    Ashman Law Office
    Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
    There is no such thing as a living power of will. Given that you apparently drafted something non-existent, get a lawyer and do proper estate planning.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: