How can I divorce someone who is overseas? 7 Answers as of June 17, 2011

The spouse is in Great Britain and other person is living in Delaware as a naturalized citizen originally from Ghana and was raised in the US as a foster child. The man from Ghana wants to divorce the spouse in England who has left him and been over there for two years, but they never actually divorced. How long will it take to complete the divorce and how is it done?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
If the parties have an agreement regarding the divorce and all the terms of divorce, it can be carried out relatively easily . If there is no agreement or the spouse cannot be located, special requests must be made seeking an Order to allow substitute service. This would likely require assistance of legal counsel.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 6/17/2011
Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
The spouse who is living in Delaware can start the divorce. Check the time frame to complete a divorce in Delaware. Any children? The custody for the children, if there are any,needs to be done where the children live.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/17/2011
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
You need to consult an attorney in Delaware to verify the procedures and how long it will take. But, the mere fact that one spouse is living outside the US will not prevent getting a divorce.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/17/2011
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
This case is a problem of jurisdiction. From your brief description of the case, it would have to be handled either in Del. or Great Britain. The state of Washington (where I am) would have no jurisdiction to do anything with the case. Therefore, for any detailed information about the case, you would have to contact a lawyer in either Del. or Great Britain.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/17/2011
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
The spouse in Delaware should consult with an attorney in their area to find out whether Delaware would have jurisdiction to do the divorce there, or whether they will need to file the divorce in Great Britain.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: