How can I divorce my American wife while I live overseas and I am not a US citizen? 5 Answers as of April 22, 2014

I'm not a US citizen and I got married in the USA in 2007 to a US citizen. Then we got separated and I left the USA and went back to my country. I don't know anything about my wife for almost 4 years and I want to get a divorce. Can I file a divorce from overseas because I don't have a visa to come back and divorce her?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You could possibly divorce he from the country you live in. Check with a local attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Sure. Although it may be easier to hire an attorney in the U.S. and divorce her where she lives here.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/22/2014
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
You can file for a divorce in the state in which she is a bona fide resident.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/22/2014
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
1. Look at the law of the country in which you are living. You may be able to get relief there. 2. If no relief in the home country look at the state where she is living. If she agrees to the divorce, and she is in Florida, you may be free in as little as 30 days.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/22/2014
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
You can either divorce under the laws of your country or file a divorce case in the state in which your spouse lives. You'll need an attorney to file in the United States.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/22/2014
Click to View More Answers: