How can I determine if I am still legally married in California? 4 Answers as of February 23, 2011

My lawyer states that I am now single even though we have not signed the msa. He says that since the judgment was read into the record at the msa and the final dod's have been exchanged, that date will show up on the judgment. Both parties responded to the affirmative that we understand and accepts the agreement. At this point I am very confused since the final msa is still not 100% complete, so how can we be divorced? There is fl180 judgment or fl-190 notice of entry judgment and no required signing. Please give me your advice. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Curry & Westgate
Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
If the judgment has been entered, then you are divorced
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/23/2011
Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP
Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP | Hal D. Bartholomew
The lawyer is telling you that at the court hearing the Judge granted the divorce on that date. The court has the right to order that you were restored to the status of a single person on that date. There should be a "minute" order confirming that you are now "single." The final judgment papers should reflect that also. It is possible to become unmarried and still not have the final msa (marital settlement agreement) processed. This is commonly called a Bifurcation of status. You want to make sure that the order making you unmarried was effective on that date. Your lawyer should be able to confirm this with you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/22/2011
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
Go to the court clerk's office and ask to inspect the file in your case.

If a Judgment has been signed by the Judge and is in the file, look at the language in the Judgment - which should tell you if and/or when your marital status was terminated, if that has been done.

If the Judgment has not been signed or filed, you likely misunderstood your lawyer.

If the terms of the Judgment were read into the record, no MSA would be needed for the Judge to grant a Dissolution of your Marriage.

However, even if the Judge pronounced that your marriage is dissolved, it won't actually be dissolved until the Judge signs the Judgment and it gets entered into the record.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/22/2011
Diefer Law Group, P.C.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
You need to have a signed judgment from the court for divorce.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/22/2011
Click to View More Answers: