How can I deny property inheritance? 6 Answers as of January 21, 2011

My mother recently passed away and left me a condo that I do not want. The condo is a slum and would take more to fix it up than it is worth. What do I need to do to clean up the ownership for the future? Who will take it? There is no money in the estate to even pay for the monthly assessment fees.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
It is assumed that she left this property via a will. If this is the case, you can simply not submit the will to probate if permitted to do so under the laws of your state. Or if the will must be probated, you can sign a qualified disclaimer according to the laws of the state of domicile and if required it should be filed with the appropriate probate or orphans court.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/21/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
There no law requiring that you take the inheritance. When the lawyer for the estate calls, you can inform him you are not interested. The property will then pass to next person in line according to state statute.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/20/2011
Javia & Moore
Javia & Moore | Marisa-Andrea Moore
This is an excellent question. Generally, persons who inherit property that they do not want can disclaim the property provided that the beneficiary did not accept the property prior to disclaiming the inheritance. In most states, taking possession of the property or exercising control over the property is sufficient evidence of acceptance by the beneficiary. Check with your local Probate Court to determine your state's procedures for disclaiming inherited property.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/19/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
You can file a disclaimer and refuse the property. Make sure you don't take any benefits from the property or you can't disclaim it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/19/2011
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
Disclaim it. That requires a document that meets both state and Federal law qualifications. Work with a lawyer qualified in your state.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: