How can I deny child support to a child who is not biologically mine? 1 Answers as of December 12, 2016

I am an active duty soldier who was married to another active duty soldier. We have been divorced for almost a year now. She and I have a seven-year-old daughter. When my daughter was three, I found out that I am not the biological father. Finding that out was the main reason we got a divorce. During the divorce process, I agreed to pay child support. However, I am planning on starting my own family soon. I love my daughter and will always be her father regardless, but I do not agree to be forced to pay child support for a child that is biologically speaking not mine. The paternity test I did was not court ordered or noted in the divorce paperwork. I made mistakes during our marriage and so did my ex-wife but I am the only one who is being punished or paying for those mistakes. My ex-wife is not married to another active duty soldier and is living comfortably. We filed for divorce in another state.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You don't say how long ago you learned you were not the bio father. If you knew at the time of the divorce, it's too late to make the change. if you didn't know, there is a limited period of time during which you can bring a petition to disavow paternity. Once you're past that deadline, it's too late and you'll have to continue to pay child support.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 12/12/2016
Click to View More Answers: