How can I defend myself if I am being accused of stealing? 1 Answers as of August 17, 2011

At my place of employment we have shrinkage scans every other month. Our last two scans were not good. The first their were 95 pairs of shoes missing and on the next one their were 200 pairs of shoes missing. The scans were done within a 3 week period because my boss demanded another one. Granted we have never had a scan this bad before. There are no cameras in the store. So, they are indirectly accusing me and boss of stealing of merchandise but I was told by my boss (who was told by our district manager) either we look deep within ourselves (try to find a scapegoat) or we both could lose our jobs. Do I have a case if they fire me without proof? The company is an at will company.

Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Unfortunately, not. As an at-will employee they can fire you for any reason or no reason, just not an illegal discriminatory one. Inventory shortages are a reason to terminate, even if they cannot show you or your boss did it.