How can I create a trust for special needs children? 12 Answers as of September 03, 2015

I am seeking information about the considerations for putting in place a trust for a special needs child.

Attorney At Law | James G. Maguire
I have done these. There is language in the trust that is designed to prevent the person with special needs from losing government benefits.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, consult a trusts attorney with experience in supplemental (special) needs trusts. There are many factors to consider, and what may be best for your scenario will depend on what the goals and objectives are.
That depends on whether the trust benefits one special needs child, or special needs children, in general. At a minimum you will need a list of proposed assets, a trustee and a beneficiary and the rules the trustee must follow to assist the beneficiary.
Special Needs Trusts are disfavored. Please make sure your lawyer is a specialist in this field.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
Do not use self-help. Seek out a qualified estate planning attorney to assist you. This is opinion is solely based upon the facts presented in the inquiry. Additional facts may be important and may change the analysis. If you are uncertain, seek legal counsel. We are not your attorneys. This answer is being offered to assist you in determining if you need to retain legal counsel to assist you, not to resolve your issue through an email inquiry.
    The biggest problem in creating a trust that will function of many years is choosing a trustee who will administer the assets and make the payments for that time.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    A special needs trust is a specialized trust with required technical aspects and purposes. You should contact an attorney to discuss the full implications of a special needs trust.
    Special Need Trust have special provisions that must be included in the Trust document. It is critical to set-up the Trust or else it could be exposed to creditor claims. It can also be counted as a resource that must be used up before receiving public assistance.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    Go to an attorney who does special needs trusts.
    A trust is the correct way to go. You'd need to think about the proper person to be trustee and whether they'd be compensated.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    Consult with an attorney.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    A special needs trust is a very specialized trust, and requires careful analysis of the beneficiary's benefits and needs. I recommend contacting a lawyer who does "elder law" to assist with this process.