How can I correctly file for bankruptcy? 14 Answers as of June 12, 2013

I hired a bankruptcy preparer and he did not fill out the papers correctly. I went to creditors meeting, I was told what to do, and now I can't find this person to help me. Now, I have three weeks to get everything done and need help doing it.

Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
Preparers frequently screw it up. They are scams. Hire a lawyer. Shop around.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
This is why you should hire competent counsel to help you with a bankruptcy.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You either need a new prepares or a lawyer. Most courts have bankruptcy assistance, look on the court's web site.
You should call a local attorney to retain before you get your case dismissed.
Law Offices of Michael S. Martin | Kate Petersen
You should consult an experienced bankruptcy attorney to take over your case. Unfortuantely, fixing an incorrectly filed case is often more difficult than filing one correctly the first time.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    This is what happens when you use a bankruptcy petition preparer. You would be well advised to go to a bankruptcy lawyer.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    For starters those bankruptcy petition preparers cannot give legal advice. You have a mess to clean up, probably and getting an attorney at this stage is problematic as no one wants to try to figure out what was done wrong and correct it for free.
    The Law Offices of Beth B Carter, PLLC | Beth B Carter
    I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney in efforts to retain an attorney to salvage your filing. Most bankruptcy attorneys offer free consultations. Truly, the price you pay for a bankruptcy attorney should be well worth the investment for the peace of mind by entry of discharge of debts you are unable to pay.
    Law offices of John P. Brooke | John Brooke
    My best recommendation would be to hire an attorney to make the amendments the proper way with the correct exemptions/laws. It will definitely be worth the money to get your discharge and not lose any assets. If you cannot afford an attorney you might want to contact the local bar association and they may be able to put you in contact with an attorney that does pro bono work.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A. | Jane Downey
    You can complain to the US Trustee's office about the preparer & maybe that office will give you some names.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    You really need to hire a qualified bankruptcy attorney to get through your case.
    Jay W. Moreland, P.A.
    Jay W. Moreland, P.A. | Jay W. Moreland
    This is the reason you should consult a bankruptcy attorney who not only knows how to prepare the form correctly, but who can also give you the advice that you need. You need to do so quickly.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Hire an attorney and let them fix the paperwork for you. I know it is hard to come up with the money or you wouldn't have been filing with a preparer, but that is the problem with not going with an attorney to begin with. You can try and go to the US Bankruptcy attorney's website for instructions but if the trustee has already told you that the paperwork was wrong, that is a rough way to go. See if you can find an attorney who will take payments for you.
    It appears that it is time for you to engage an attorney to straighten this out. When you find the "preparer" ask for your money back.