How can I convert F1 to F2 after F1 expired? 3 Answers as of January 16, 2014

I entered US with a valid F1 visa, and withdrew from the program at the end of 3 years. My I-20 expired in July and my visa on the passport expired in December. Would it be a problem now if I wish to convert to an F2 by marrying my long term girlfriend? I wish to convert back to F1 sometime in July. What would be the best way to do this without leaving the country since my fiance and I have been away for more than 4 years and cannot do that again. Please can you provide some advise.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
Yes it would be a big problem. Get out before you get deported and have a ban placed on you. Then have your girlfriend apply for a fiance visa for you. It will take about 5 months. Then you come back into the country, marry her and get a conditional green card. If you happen to stay married for two years, the condition can be lifted.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/16/2014
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You may have to go through consular processing if you are now not in valid F-1 status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/15/2014
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You cannot change your status have you are not currently in a valid non-immigrant status. You would need to obtain a visa abroad.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/15/2014
Click to View More Answers: