How can I convert F1 to F2 after F1 expired? 3 Answers as of January 16, 2014

I entered US with a valid F1 visa, and withdrew from the program at the end of 3 years. My I-20 expired in July and my visa on the passport expired in December. Would it be a problem now if I wish to convert to an F2 by marrying my long term girlfriend? I wish to convert back to F1 sometime in July. What would be the best way to do this without leaving the country since my fiance and I have been away for more than 4 years and cannot do that again. Please can you provide some advise.

Yes it would be a big problem. Get out before you get deported and have a ban placed on you. Then have your girlfriend apply for a fiance visa for you. It will take about 5 months. Then you come back into the country, marry her and get a conditional green card. If you happen to stay married for two years, the condition can be lifted.
You may have to go through consular processing if you are now not in valid F-1 status.
You cannot change your status have you are not currently in a valid non-immigrant status. You would need to obtain a visa abroad.