How can I come back to the US after being deported? 3 Answers as of May 16, 2011

I would like to know since I was deported back in 1999, which means I’m going on 12 yrs here in the Dominican Republic. I want to file for a waiver and a 212-a. Do I need to hire a Lawyer from the same state that my case is from? Do you think I have a good chance to be accepted back in the US, since my daughter is an American, and basically all my family is in the US? I have my Grandmother here only. I was told that I was getting deported for 10 yrs for my case. I was charged with attempt of distribution for Marijuana (half a pound) then violation of probation, assault a battery on my daughter’s mother (which she dropped the charges) and for being caught driving with a suspended license. I do have a very clean record here in this country, meaning I’ve been staying out of trouble for all these years down here in DR. We all deserve a second chance in life. what should I do? Please let me know for your experience. Thanks for your time.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
I agree that you deserve a second chance. However the immigration laws are extremely mean spirited. Any drug related offense with a sale element is an inadmissible event and there is no waiver. I agree this is unfortunate and not right. Have your relatives contact their representatives about how such laws negatively affect U.S. citizens and their family and go against beliefs and the spirit of redemption. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/16/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You can and should have someone file for you. It sounds like you have a good plan to come back. You do not have to have an attorney from the same state as your relative or yourself. Immigration is federal law and any Attorney in the 50 states and territories can assist you. If this is an important thing for you to come back to the US, then do hire an attorney to help you through this. Prepare a good case of "rehabilitation" for the crimes that got you deported (your police certificate will help a great deal) and get going. You will have to file and go to your interview to find out if you will be admitted back. Of course, more information needs to be known in your particular case, but it looks like you will have a pretty good argument. So, get going and good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Your daughter, an American citizen, is eligible to petition for you, of course. Normally, two or more offenses which qualify as "crimes involving moral turpitude", which include domestic violence and distribution of drugs, can permanently disqualify you. However, if the deportation order explicitly said that you are eligible for readmission into the USA through a valid petition and application for consular processing for permanent residency, then you can do so. You do not need a lawyer from the same state from where your deportation or criminal cases come from. Your family and you will need a qualified immigration attorney. If you wish, please feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone (or your daughter may do so), to set up a phone consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: