How can I collect on a slip and fall accident and where to begin? 10 Answers as of September 03, 2015

I had a slip and fall accident at a major retail store on Wednesday. Because of this, I have a sprained ankle. Since my ankle is still tender and sore, I have not been able to work. So my question is, is the store liable to pay me some kind of compensation for the lost wages and pain and discomfort that I am going through?

Not unless you can prove they did something wrong. Just because you were hurt on their property, doesn't necessarily make them liable. Good luck.
This question is remarkably similar to one I answered just recently. You collect by hiring a lawyer. You begin by hiring a lawyer. You ask if the store liable but you don't give us any information as to how the slip and fall occurred. The store could well be liable, but only if they were negligent and you have to be able to prove it. Even then, many stores resist claims no matter how legitiamate they are, because they are afraid of encouraging bogus claims.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
I just replied to another slip-and-fall question today. Please see that answer. The general principles apply to your matter, too.
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
You should get a lawyer to prosecute the matter for you. The store is only liable if you fell as a result of the defect that they knew or should have known about and had enough time to fix. There is no automatic liability.
Only if they caused your fall, or failed to call the defect to your attention.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    If they are liable - yes. It's too complicated for a forum like this. Consult with a lawyer.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    You must be able to prove that the property owner knew or should have known of the defect that caused you to fall. Even then, the claim is worth very little if the correct diagnosis is a strain because there is no permanent injury.
    Slip and fall cases are, by their nature, difficult. First, you must be able to prove negligence on the part of the property owner/occupant. Negligence could be defined as the failure to use REASONABLE care; the owner is not a guarantor. To do this, you must be able to prove that the owner put the slippery substance there, or that they had prior knowledge of the hazard and failed to take care of it promptly. Second, they will claim ?comparative fault?, meaning that you had a duty to watch where you were walking, and thus are partly at fault. The result is that most lawyers are reluctant to take a slip and fall case unless there are substantial damages, and there are at least some arguments to be made on the question of fault.
    Yes. So long as their negligence is greater than yours.
    Maybe, but not absolutely. See an attorney with the details.