How can I collect on my personal injury? 23 Answers as of August 02, 2011

I had an AC joint seperation in 2000 and they had to remove about half inch of my clavicle which seem to fix the problem. And now after all this time it feels exactly like it did before it was fixed. I havent been to a doctor as I have no insurance, I realize it's been long time. What, if any, are my options? The doctor said I lost 5% use of my left arm but it feels like I lost more than that.

Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
Probably not as the statute of limitations has probably run. I am not sure who you want to sue for personal injury.
I think you should take your records and see a personal injury / professional negligence attorney to discuss the viability of any action you might have.
Law Offices of Daniel R. Wingler, P.C.
Law Offices of Daniel R. Wingler, P.C. | Daniel R. Wingler
How did you sustain the injury? Is there an insurance claim (either workers compensation or personal injury claim) that currently remains open? Whether or not the passage of time precludes certain rights or remedies you may still have available depends on number of factors, but you should get an assessment as soon as possible to see if any statutory deadlines have passed or may expire in the near future. Feel free to call and discuss in further detail. 720.447.2586
Law Offices of Tom Patton
Law Offices of Tom Patton | Thomas C. Patton
The statute o limitations in Oregon is 2 years. There are a few ways to get beyond the 2 year time limit for filing suit. If you were a minor when the accident occurred, for example, you have until your 19th birthday to file suit. Also, if the injury wasn't discovered for several years (sponge left in after surgery, discovered in CT Scan years later), you can sue two years after discovery.
Richard E. Lewis, P.S.
Richard E. Lewis, P.S. | Richard Eugene Lewis
You do not explain how you were injured so I cannot determine if you had a viable claim. However, it is very unlikely you could pursue a claim so many years later.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    Unless you are a minor where it may be possible to file suit, the statute of limitations has run on any case related to this injury. I am sorry.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    Medical malpractice law in Virginia has the same statute of limitations as any other personal injury. You have to make a claim within two years from the date of the injury. The only difference in medical malpractice law is that there is a discovery rule. What this means is that the period might be extended if the victim was not aware of the malpractice until a later date. Since your operation was in 2000, your claim may be barred by the statute of limitations. You should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney immediately to see if there is any hope in your situation.
    I don't think you have any options. Statute of limitations is 3 years for PI.
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    Your legal options have expired because of the statute of limitations.
    You don't state if you brought suit and settled or ever brought a suit or how the injury occurred so this is difficult to answer.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    It is not clear how all this happened. So you may no longer have a claim. But you need to discuss with an attorney who handles the type of injury you had in 2000.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    The chances are good that you have waited too long. In Florida, the statute of limitations is only 4 years, so if you didn't bring your claim within 4 years of the date of the accident, it's too late to bring it. Some states have shorter statutes of limitation, but few if any are longer. Just call a local personal injury lawyer to find out what the statute of limitations is in your state.
    Except in rare circumstances, you must bring a personal injury claim within three years. I don't know how old you are or how and where you got injured. For example, you may be able to reopen a Workers Compensation claim if you had one. Or, if you were less than eighteen years old, you may have extra time. I think that you should call a lawyer right away.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    You've waited too long to pursue a personal injury claim. If this is a worker's compensation claim, you may be able to re-open it.
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    statute of limitations bars any claim
    Allen Murphy Law
    Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
    If your accident occurred in Florida in 2000, the statute of limitations ran in 2004 (4 years for an accident) and 2 years for Med Mal, not to exceed a total of 4 years. So, you appear out of luck either way. But, you can talk to a lawyer in person to be sure.
    Coulter's Law
    Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds as though you may be out of legal options. The time to file a lawsuit in NJ is two years from the date of injury. Unless you were many years under the age of 21 when the surgery took place, it is highly likely the time to file has come and gone.
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates | Steven R. Kuhn
    It is too late. You needed to file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of the accident. If you did file and have a judgment then you still have time to collect on the judgment.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
    Legally there is nothing you can do. Personal injury statute of limitations in CA is two years from the date of injury. Even though your injury seems to have manifested itself again, the original injury was 11 years ago. Any claim you have against the person that caused the injury is legally barred.