How can I clear the California warrant that is against me? 13 Answers as of January 03, 2011

I was caught speeding and I had an invalid license. I had an international license that was valid in the US for a year, but due to state law, I only had 10 days to get a California license because I am considered a temporary resident while I am at college. I am Saudi Arabian and have a clean record, but I was given a misdemeanor and I misunderstood the officer and thought I did not have to go to court. I missed the court date and probably have a warrant now, and although ignorance is not a defense, I want to know how I can clear the warrant and how to change the misdemeanor to an infraction. I honestly did not know my license was invalid due to technicalities in state law because the international license I had was made specifically to allow me to drive for up to a year in the US.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Either you or your attorney can go to the court where the warrant was issued and have it recalled.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
This can readily be dealt with. I would suggest you retain a traffic ticket attorney to represent you. You also need to get a CA drivers license. There is a warrant against you for your failure to appear.-but this can be dealt with as well. Call if you have any questions.
The best thing for you to do is to hire an attorney. Your attorney will be able to resolve the warrant issue and negotiate your case. It sounds like you were charged with a 12500. This should be easy for your attorney to get the charge reduced to an infraction or dismissed.
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
You have the choice of going to court and asking that the warrant be recalled, or you can hire an attorney, who would be able to appear in court for you.

The latter would not require your appearance.
You need to hire a lawyer to recall the warrant, then negotiate with the prosecutor to reduce the charge to an infraction. The fact that you have a valid international license is helpful for your lawyer.
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
    You need to go to the courthouse and put your case "back on calendar" for:1. Arraignment,2. Recall of Bench Warrant (With an explanation), and3. Set the matter for a Pre-Trial date and time...
    If there's a Bench Warrant issued, you can find this out by calling the District Attorney's Office in your county, post bail and go to court.

As far as reducing the misdemeanor to an infraction, that depends on your attorney.
    We handle all types of driving issues and have created a couple of systems that increase the odds of fruitful negotiations.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
    For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the outstanding charges and warrant. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in this country. As this was a misdemeanor, your attorney can appear in court without you being present, and any plea bargain deal could be handled by notarized paperwork. Any fines could be paid by mail. If you are serious about getting legal help doing so, feel free to contact me.
    Wow, here's an interesting question. If it was a license from another state you would have 10 days or 30 days (I forget which but I believe it is 30 days) to get yourself a CA license. I don't think there is such a thing as a "temporary resident" - you can only be a resident of one place and that is Saudi Arabia so it is worth fighting. The trouble is it will cost you a few bucks and it may not be worth it.

If the ticket is from Oakland or its nearby counties I can help you. Otherwise let me know where the ticket is from and I can send you to a good criminal defense lawyer who won't rip you off.

Meanwhile take a look at Vehicle Code 12500 and 12505. Type "California Vehicle Code" into Google. According to VC 12500 you are a permanent resident of Saudi Arabia and if they require a driver's license you win. Even if they don't require a driver's license the international one should suffice. Your real mistake was not going to court. When charged with a misdemeanor you do not need to appear IF you send a lawyer in your place. So, I think this can be straightened out if we have an intelligent judge (not that many around) Let me know. Good luck.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    You can get the warrant cleared by going to the clerk's office and getting yourself back on calendar. Then you can explain your case with the DA. There is a possibility of reducing the charge down to a 12500 infraction. However, make sure you let the judge know why you failed to appear in court last time.
    You need to go to court to have the warrant quashed, then deal with the case. Sooner the better. If you get arrested on the warrant it will look worse in the courts eyes. I recommend hiring an attorney so this does not spiral out of control. Call me if you would like to discuss in further detail.
    Steven Mandell
    Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
    The best way to accomplish your goals is to hire a criminal lawyer to do it for you. There is no way I can tell you how to do it yourself. If your case is in Los Angeles, feel free to call me. Good luck and
    happy new year.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    The warrant will not be recalled until you (or your attorney) appears in court. If you can get your license before going to court, that will help immensely, but I'd strongly suggest you contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to discuss this in person.