How can I clear an eight-year old warrant for probation violation? 4 Answers as of October 30, 2012

I would like to get this warrant of my back. I had just turn 18, was in the wrong place and got in to some little trouble. I was put on probation and I was scared. Now that I'm an adult, I would like to clear this up. I have never been in trouble again with the law. I don't want to go to jail.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kevin Bessant
Kevin Bessant | Kevin Bessant
Probation Violation warrants unfortunately do not simply go away or disappear until they are officially cleared up. I would advise you to contact the court in which your placed on probation, or visit the court to ask how you can clear up the warrant (this usually means turning yourself in on the warrant by setting a court date to go before the judge). At the violation hearing, you will have to be accountable for whatever the violation alleges. The good news is that often times, for probation violations that are years old, the court can be lenient so long as the violation is minor and you have had no further contact with the criminal justice system. Because probation violations can also include jail time it the judge determines or probation recommends, I would not handle a probation violation with the advice, guidance and representation of a criminal defense attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/30/2012
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
You need to hire an attorney as you face possible jail time.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/29/2012
Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
Go back to where the case was heard and have it taken care of. If it is that old the Judge may just terminate you probation and forget it. At worse, you will have to complete your sentence; but I do not think that will be the case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/29/2012
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Engage an attorney, it is very probable this matter can be handled but, believe me, you want to contact the authorities first and commence the process.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/29/2012
Click to View More Answers: