How can I change my surname for immigration purposes? 2 Answers as of March 06, 2011

I have a valid K1 visa until April 2011. Due to certain circumstances, we got married in India in Dec 2010. Now to enter the US my husband has to file an I-130 and then K3. But my passport shows my dad's surname and not my husband's. So, how can I change it? Can I do it simultaneously when he will apply for I-130 for me? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You can come across with a valid AR-11 change of information form as well. Your K-1 is valid until April 2011. You received it prior to your marriage. Once you arrive in the USA, you must file notice of marriage within 90 days, which can relate to the marriage that happened in India. Then you may file for adjustment of status, with your I-130 enclosed with your I-485 adjustment of status. Best to you, if you wish to consult with an attorney, feel free to contact me via e-mail or phone to set up a consultation in prospect of representation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/6/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Merely apply for a name change and get a new passport.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 3/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: