How can I change my son's last name to mine? 4 Answers as of August 24, 2012

I already went to court . The guy who signed the birth certificate is not the father. We already have a parternity test. And we found out he's not the father. He signed all his parternity rights to me. Now I just need to change my son's last name to mine. How can I do that??? I leave in Los Angeles, California. Also can I remove all the father info. from the birth certificate?

Attorney At Law | Harry D. Roth
Yes, a birth certificate can be changed. You must apply to the state for an amended birth certificate.

Use the court papers showing that the named father is not the father to assist.

You may call your child anything you want, without breaking the law, but if the name you use is different from the name on the birth certificate, then you could have issues with school enrollment and other dealings with the government later.

You may be able to change the child's name on the birth certificate. If not, then you can file a request for a name change. It is a pretty simple procedure and you have a good reason for doing it, but you must publish a notice in the newspaper and that costs money.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You will have to file a petition for name change.
If you already went court, then you need to go to the county and fill out the forms to do the modification.
A name change can be accomplished through court but you will have deal with vital records regarding any change of the birth certificate (which I believe requires a court order once the actual father is identified).

It may be done by form with vital records, however. If you are looking for an attorney to assist you with the name change petition, please contact me for a free consultation.