How can I change my 14-year-old daughter's name? 5 Answers as of January 14, 2014

My daughter is 14 years old. I am married and on her birth certificate she has my maiden name and she wants my married name just like her little brother and sister. Her bio father hasn't been around and I don't know where he is. He does pay child support and lives in New York. We were never married.

James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
As long as he is paying support I would not rock the boat, unless he is alright with the name change.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
You can file a name change petition and try to get the father served. If you are unable to locate him then you probably will need to arrange service on him through Order of Publication. Retain an attorney to help you through the maze.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Yes it can be done. You need a Lawyer.
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
You would have to file a petition for formal name change and give notice to the father.
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
You can file a complaint to change her name. You will need to serve the father a copy of the complaint.