How can I bring my Mexican boyfriend to meet my family in the US when they denied him a tourist visa? 2 Answers as of February 07, 2011

I, a US citizen, want my Mexican boyfriend of 6 years to be able to enter the US to meet my family. I live here but plan to move to Mexico City in 5 months, where we'll live for at least 5-10 years. 4 years ago, we were on vacation in Baja CA, and heard we could ask for a 1-day visitor pass at the border. When we got to San Ysidro crossing, we told the officer clearly that boyfriend did not have a visa but would like a pass to visit San Diego for the day. He politely said they had stopped the daypass program years ago, and we would have to turn around back to Tijuana, requiring us to pull into secondary inspection area and wait for him to come open the turnaround lane. After 20 minutes, we were approached by a female officer who asked what we were doing. After explaining that we were sent there to turn around because we had asked for a day-pass that no longer exists, she said the officer we spoke with was now off duty. She accused us of lying to a federal officer by saying that my boyfriend had a visa. She brought us into the office to be fingerprinted and photo'd while they searched my car. I asked to speak to her supervisor. I told supervisor what happened, apologized for not verifying what we had heard about the day pass, and asked if we could just turn around and go back to Mexico. The female officer said that I was trying to bring him across illegally to live there, saying that his suitcase was evidence (we both had suitcases because we were on vacation). She said she wanted him to be arrested. The supervisor said that we were just stupid kids and told her to let us turn around. A year later, my boyfriend applied for a tourist visa and they said he didn't have enough evidence to show that he had reason to return to Mexico - even though he was in a prestigious university studying to become an engineer. 2 years later he tried again and they said he had a "red flag" so he was denied. What do we need to do for him to be able to come with me to meet my parents?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Unfortunately, under the facts you described, it is extremely unlikely that your boyfriend will ever get a visitor visa to meet your parents before you get married. The fact that he is young and educated and intending to marry you, plus his prior run in with immigration on his record an prevent him from getting the visa.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/7/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Coming to US is not a constitutional right to a foreigner. Border officers have discretion to approve or not approve a visa, unfortunately. If you are a US citizen, you can file K1 visa for him and marry him 90 days after he is here. Given the "red flag", you do want to hire a lawyer to represent you. Good luck! You are welcome to contact us.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: