How can I bring my foreign nephew to live in the US? 4 Answers as of August 22, 2011

I am a 45 years old U.S. citizen. I have a nephew in China who is about to be 13 years old. My family would like him to come to U.S. for middle school through college for a better education. We would also like him to live in my house. Is it possible for him to immigrate here through me or can we only apply for student visa? Thank you!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
You may not petition for your nephew to immigrate. Student visa your nephew should apply at the US consulate. First you should obtain I-20 from a private school. For a student visa, the US consulate must first be satisfied that the student will go back to his country. Then the consulate will make sure the student will have enough funds to cover his stay and expenses without having to work. Your sponsorship will be considered at this level if you intend to pay for the expenses.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/22/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
He can apply for an F-1 student visa, but please note that the I-20 required for the visa is only issued by private schools. There is on family-based category for an Uncle to petition for a nephew.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/4/2011
Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A.
Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A. | Felipe Augusto Malo
Student visa is ur best bet
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/4/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
You cannot sponsor him for an Immigrant Visa. There is no category for nephews. You will need to find a private school to accept him and issue an I-20 document. Then, he can process for the visa at the US consulate in China.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: