How can I bring my brother to the United states? 1 Answers as of April 08, 2011

I know that I can't apply for my brother until I'm a citizen and that could take me 5 years plus the other 7-8 years (and maybe more) for him waiting for the visa after I apply for him. Does his age has any effect on the delay? He's 19 now and he'll be over 21 by then. Is there any other way it could be faster than that? Is there any other option about how to get him in the US as an immigrant? I got my green card from the lottery. Does his education, income and financial status give him any kind of privilege? He wants to start a good business in the states. Thanks a lot.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Your brother may be eligible to go to college in the US, may be eligible for a J-1 training visa or if he has graduated with a bachelor degree, may be eligible for a work visa. These do not require family support. I have articles on these options. Unlike Canada, having money or education does not alone allow you entry to the US. Instead you really want to have an employer sponsor you. If your brother is from an E-2 country (see my site under quick links) and wants to open a business in the US where he will hire US workers, then that is also a great way to legally enter and work in the US.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: