How can I be granted a green card to study in the United States? 7 Answers as of February 01, 2011

I would like to know, how could my family and me get the green card to live in the U.S. I am 13 years old and I would like to go study there. It has been my dream. I live in London, United Kingdom.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You have an opportunity, by a sponsoring close family member who is a U.S. citizen or legal resident, or a sponsoring employer, probably for your family. Or you can be a student visa holder when you go to college as well.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/1/2011
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
Green cards are not issued for the purpose of study, though you can certainly study in the US if you have one. If you want to study in the US an F-1 visa would be the most appropriate visa for you to explore, but that would not allow your family to accompany you. To obtain a green card you would need to find a way for you or a family member to qualify for a green card, i.e. through a relative, a job, an investment, etc. The USCIS website ( has detailed information about the various ways that one can immigrate to the US. This is a good place to start your investigation.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/3/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
In order to study in the U.S. You must apply to a University in the U.S. Once accepted you can apply for an F-1 visa allowing you to legally study in the U.S. Unfortunately, your family cannot accompany you with this visa.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/31/2010
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
The answer is that this is pretty unlikely. If you want to study in the U.S., you need a student visa. A student visa would probably not include the rest of your family. If you want your family to move to the U.S., then one of your parents will need to begin the process of pursuing permanent residence through either employment or family.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 12/31/2010
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
No, you need to apply for an F-1 student visa to come to the U.S. to study. A green card might come later, maybe.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 12/31/2010
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
    You are 13 years old. You will not be able to get a visa on your own. Wait until you are 14 years old, you can find a middle school with boarding program. It is not going to be green card, it is going to be a visa that will extend you long enough period for you to stay in school.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/31/2010
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
    There are lots of programs for green cards in the U.S. I would need to talk to your parents and see which one they might qualify for. Usually you need a close family member or employer to act as a sponsor but there is a "million dollar" green card program where you invest money and create new jobs to get a green card. (In certain rural and high unemployment areas you can invest only $500,000 to get the green card for the investor and his or her family.

    If you just want to study there is a student visa option which is not a green card and is given to each person who is a qualifying student - apply to get accepted to the school and show you have the funds to attend.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/30/2010
Click to View More Answers: