How can I avoid a first time shoplifting charge going on my record? 12 Answers as of May 07, 2013

I'm a student. All I want is this off my record. It was 38 dollars. I refused to sign any papers at the store and no ID was shown. What are my chances?

20% beating the charges, 80% convicted.
Go to court. Get a lawyer. Plead not guilty. See if the lawyer can set you up with a deal for not criminal record. What employer wants to hire a thief? Criminal records are forever.
Your question does not answer the question of whether you were arrested and charged. If so, you possibly will qualify for a court diversion program, which would not result in a permanent and unexpungeable conviction on your record. ?Consult with counsel and have him/her represent you in court.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Ultimately, sentencing depends on whether you're found guilty, your record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
If they don't know who you are, you have nothing to worry about. I'm surprised they just let you go without taking any of your information. If that is true, you are very lucky.
    Contact a lawyer and it is likely to be reduced down or best case dismissed.
    I really get tired of people writing to me and telling me that the value of the property they stole was "only" If it was only that much, then why did you feel the need to steal it??? A shop lift is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $5.,000.00. My advice to you is to hire an attorney to help you. The attorney may be able to get you a diversion or a deferred sentence thereby keeping it from being a permanent part of your record. Hiring an attorney will be expensive, but it they can keep it from being a permanent part of your record it is worth it because if you are convicted, it will be on your record and you will have to disclose it on job applications and it could jeopardize or disqualify you from receiving federal student loans. Consequences for poor decision making.
    None and, your failure to cooperate did not help your case.
    Seth B. Cobin, Attorney at Law | Seth Benjamin Cobin
    If it was a first time charge you may qualify for a pretrial diversion program, which would keep it off your record.
    Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
    If you were not arrested or issued a citation for pending charges than this is a civil matter ONLY. If it is a civil matter, there would be no arrest record and thus nothing would show up on a background check. If you are being prosecuted CRIMINALLY by the state or district attorney or city attorney- in Colorado you must fight the charges and if you are acquitted of the charges (found not guilty) then you can seal the arrest.
    Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Yes you may be able to avoid a record by earning First Offender Treatment. You better get a Great Lawyer