How can I ask again for alimony? 4 Answers as of June 27, 2013

In my California divorce decree, citing IN RE MARRIAGE OF VOMACKA (1884) 36 CAL.3D 459, it says " Court shall have the authority to extend duration of support past Aug. 11, 2013". Does that mean I have until August 13 to file for reinstatement of alimony? Alimony stopped a few years ago, but now I need it again. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck
Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck | Jill K. Whitbeck
No, it means that there can be no alimony obligation (payments) beyond August 11, 2013. Considering that is only 6 weeks away, not worth spending the time and money for what you might recover. You can't even get a court order that quickly.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/27/2013
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
It seems from the facts you provided that no court can provide alimony beyond August 11, 2013, and not that you only have until that date to ask for more. Therefore, even if you asked for more alimony now, and were granted it, it appears that you would not have it paid beyond August 11, 2013.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/27/2013
John Russo | John Russo
No, the language seems to be fairly clear from here if you wrote it down word for word, Not knowing the date of your divorce or what other language was there, what I see this as saying is that if you had gone back at some point seeking and extension of the support clause prior to it's ending, (which date you failed to include) that even if the court agreed to extend the support it could not extend it beyond August 11, 2013, again I think that is pretty clear what are you not seeing, "no court shall have the authority to extend duration of support past August 11, 2013" I see no ambiguity here.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 6/27/2013
Law Offices of Mark Schondorf
Law Offices of Mark Schondorf | Mark Schondorf
You are best filing for an extension before August 11, 2013 just to be sure. Further, if you live in Illinois, you can enroll the judgment here and attempt to litigate the matter in an Illinois court.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/27/2013
Click to View More Answers: