How can I as a victim drop charges that the state has issued against my fiancé? 15 Answers as of February 07, 2013

He did not hit me. My neighbors lied and said he did.

You tell the prosecutor that he did not hit you.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You cannot. It is up to the prosecutor. Why would your neighbor lie. He/she may have done you a favor if you were getting assaulted
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
Ultimately it is up to the District Attorney whether or not they will proceed against your fiance'. At some point, the assigned Assistant District Attorney should be contacting you to conduct an interview based on the case. Your best bet is to tell the ADA that none of the charges are true, as that will help the ADA decide whether to proceed with the case or to drop the charges.
The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
The Houser Law Firm, P.C. | A. Bowden Houser
You can't. Only the district attorney has that authority. But seriously, why would your neighbors lie? In a situation where someone other than you initiated the investigation and both you and your finance denied anything happened, the officers would not have made an arrest unless there some physical evidence. Since there was an arrest, there must have been some physical evidence that you were hit.
Once a police report has been made, the allegations and charges are sent to the District Attorney to determine whether to file charges with the court. The decision to file charges, reduce charges, prosecute a case or dismiss a case is solely at the discretion of the District Attorney or Prosecuting Attorney. If the "victim", you, wishes to have the charges dropped or dismissed, he/she should talk with the D.A. However, the final decision will be up to the D.A.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You cannot drop charges. You can make your wishes known to the prosecutor when they call you.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    You will have to testify in his defense at his trial.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    In NH, people don't "press charges" against other people. The police investigate a potential criminal offense, determine if probable cause exists and make an arrest. The State prosecutes the case, not you personally. So to answer your question, no you cannot simply "drop charges."
    You can't. Prosecutors aren't stupid, and they will never drop a DV charge simply because the victim has had a change of heart (or story). Your fiance needs to hire a lawyer.
    Continued prosecution is up to the prosecutor, he needs an attorney.
    Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
    The decision to proceed with or drop charges lies solely within the discretion of the State's Attorney.