How can I apply for long term disability and will leaving my job affect my application? 3 Answers as of September 06, 2013

I have been out on short term disability from work for 6 months. During that time, I have applied for long term disability through SSI. I have a 401k from work that I was thinking of cashing some of it out to help with my medical bills and other bills that are getting behind. My FMLA and personal time has run out. My employer stated that I can request an extension on my personal time. Currently I am still doing physical therapy, for a total knee replacement, and it will be 2-3 months before I hear from SSI. The only way to cash my 401k in is to leave my job, will that affect my application for disability?

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
It would actually help, because you are claiming with SSD that you cannot work.
Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
If your 401K is worth over $2000, you would be ineligible for SSI by being over assets. You should speak to an attorney if you wish to protect this 401K while getting disability payments.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
I do not practice SS law, and am unable to answer this question.