How can help my minor son through larceny charges? 4 Answers as of April 27, 2011

My 14 year old son took another kids phone from school and he and his buddy destroyed it. There is some back story here but it does not justify what my son and his friend did. When discovered by the school, he told the whole truth and is now being charged with larceny from a building. He has never been in trouble and is truly a good kid with bad decision making skills at this point in his development. I am scared and do not know what to do.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law | Thomas J. Tomko
Thank you for your inquiry. Your son may be eligible for diversion. This could result in no conviction on his record. It will depend on a number of factors, and it should be discussed with his attorney. If interested in retaining an attorney in the Detroit Metro Area (Wayne Oakland Macomb), then you may wish to hire my office to represent him. I look forward to hearing from your.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/27/2011
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
The best way to help your son is to hire an experienced attorney that has successfully handled cases such as this.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/26/2011
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
You should consider hiring skilled criminal defense counsel. While likely a juvenile matter, it still could hold negative implications if not dealt with appropriately.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/26/2011
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
Thank you very much for reaching out for help. Having a loved one charged with a crime can be very scary, especially if you are unfamiliar with the process. Due to the nature of the crime and your son's age, he will assuredly be tried as a juvenile. The first step after an arraignment will be a hearing in front of the attorney referee and a representative from the prosecutors office. Your son will probably be offered a plea deal which he can either accept or take the case to trial if he wants. If he takes the deal, he will probably be placed on a juvenile form of probation and he would not have a public record. But he needs legal representation in order to secure the best deals and to make sure that you and he are fully aware of his rights and are making the right decisions. Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this matter further. Thank you again. Best of everything to you and your son.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/8/2010
Click to View More Answers: