How can a green card holder bring his wife to the US? 4 Answers as of January 05, 2011

I am green card holder? How can I bring my wife to the usa? Can you help bring my wife to the US? How much time will processing take after she comes to the usa.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
A green card holder like yourself, who has a wife already, but who is in your original homeland, can petition for her through a Petition for Alien Relative, with supporting documentation, which would likely be granted within about 3-5 months. The second stage, in which your wife would apply for legal residency through consular processing, would only be authorized when the priority date given to her by the U.S. State Department (which matches the date they credit the petition you filed with the Citizenship and Immigration Service as accepted), comes up in their system as 'current', which means they will take applicants for legal residency beginning at that date backward. Your wife would be placed in the category called 2A, for spouses of legal residents. The problem is that, instead of waiting maybe 4 months, as has been the case, she may have to wait 2 1/2 to 3 years! The State Department may change the waiting period, they render a new priority list every month in their Visa Bulletin, but recent statements from them seem to indicate otherwise. I am sorry for that, but if that should change, and you would like the help of an immigration lawyer, feel free to call or e-mail to set up an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/5/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
You can file a petition on her behalf, but it is going to take some time while a visa becomes available. If you qualify for citizenship probably it would be best if you obtain your citizenship and petition her as a citizen.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/15/2010
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
As a green card holder you can file application for your spouse with USCIS. When there is a visa number available the case will be transferred to the country of your spouse's country for visa interview. The processing time depends on whether a visa number is available. It can take several years.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 12/14/2010
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You can sponsor her as a green card holder. There will be a couple of years of wait time. It may be shorter or longer depending on the backlog. However, you should not wait.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/14/2010
Click to View More Answers: