How can a Green Card Holder's boyfriend legally live and work in the USA? 8 Answers as of October 28, 2011

I am Green Card holder currently not residing in the USA. I want to move to the USA within the next 6 months. How can my boyfriend (UK citizen) join me to live & work legally in the USA? Do we have to get married, do I have to move to the USA first?

If you become a US citizen and get married, you can bring your husband to us.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You need to get married. If you become a citizen he could come as a fiance, but you'd need to marry anyway.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Your boy friend cannot derive any immediate immigration benefit from your permanent resident status. Although you can file as a permanent resident a visa petition for him if you get married, it will take approximately three years before he can get a green card. This all will change once you become a U.S. Citizen since there is no wait for a spouse of a citizen. In the meantime, he must secure his own nonimmigrant visa through an employer who files a qualifying visa petition for him or enrolling into a U.S. school as a student or an professional training opportunity.
You will need to get married and then there is about a 3-year wait for the visa backlog.
You have to be a U.s. citizen in order for you to petition for your spouse otherwise as an LPR your spouse will have to wait for years before a visa number becomes current.
    If you have a green card and have been out of the US for more than 180 days, then DHS may try to take away your card and your status upon your entry. So that is the first concern. After that, you can sponsor a husband for a green card but he won't be able to apply for the actual card for at least 2-3 years from that date, based on current processing times. So in the meantime he would need to determine his own way to live in the US, via school or employment.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    if you are married to him, you can file I-130. But it may take several years for the visa number to become current. If you do not marry him, there is nothing you can do for him in terms of getting him here. As a UK citizen, he can come here without visa for 90 days. If he wants to stay longer or work here, he must find other ways, such as H-1 visa or E visa. Please consult immigration attorney for advise.
    Green card holder does not have the immigration benefit to sponsor fiance. You will have to get married and file for him as your spouse. The wait is for sure longer than 6 months. It actually can be as long as 5 years. Of course the wait time depends.