How can a father gain custody of his kids? 1 Answers as of May 11, 2011

I'm a father of a 6 soon to be 7 year old that has lived and I have raised alone since he was 2. This became so after I picked him up from his mother's one weekend and had to take him to file a police report and take him to the hospital with a golf ball sized purple lump on his head. She neglected to bring him to the hospital. The doctor's diagnosis was "non-accidental trauma". Child services got involved and he was ordered to stay with me until further notice. DCF never charged her with anything. After the child services investigation on her was over she disappeared for 2 years and decided to pop up on his 4th birthday. She played "mom" for a bit taking him weekends and then disappearing again for a while. This is how it still is. He still lives with me, she pretends to be mom for a while and then disappears. She constantly moves from place to place. Usually somewhere crowded full of indoor smokers with her other 2 year old kid from another guy. I feel that after 5 years of parenting him all by myself, providing him with what he needs and more and him having a stable home with me for this long I should have sole custody. I'm not asking for her not to see him ever again, I just feel that I have earned the right to have sole custody. It's also not fair to him what she does with the constant disappear-reappear. I'm also not asking for anything from her, I have, can and will continue to provide for him. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
Apply to court for custody and visitation orders.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 5/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: