How can an international student obtain residency in the US? 1 Answers as of July 21, 2010

I arrived in the US four years ago and recently finished my Bachelor Degree and I'm interested in how to become a resident here without getting married. I do want to continue to go to school but I do not wish to be sponsored because I want to start the process for becoming a resident. What should I do to get out of the student visa and be a permanent resident?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides that you may obtain permanent resident status through: a family member, employment, investment Diversity Lottery (only if you were born from an eligible country), Refugee or Asylum status, or through the Registry Provisions (you must have been in US since 1972.) Other rare forms of admission include being a victim of trafficking or criminal activity or an armed forces member.

An attorney will assist you in determining the quickest path to obtaining a green card. Please call my office for a consultation if any of the above seems to apply.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/21/2010
Click to View More Answers: