How can an immigrant get a social security card? 1 Answers as of February 11, 2011

If I am married but have not filled papers yet how would my husband go about getting social security card so that he can work so we can get up the money to file the papers. I have heard immigrants working with out papers and the have a social security card.

Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Many years ago, the Social Security Administration provided a number to everyone who asked for it. For example, a tourist who wanted to open a bank account instead of carrying loads of cash would ask and get a number so that he could open a bank account, or get a driver license. This is why you might have heard of people "without paper"" who have a social security number. Things no longer work this way. You need to get a work permit before going to the Social security administration. Need to do the immigration paperwork first, then he can get the number. (Assuming he qualifies to adjust status).