How can an attorney help in a possession of alcohol case? 54 Answers as of June 25, 2013

My daughter (19) was cited for possession of alcohol near the university campus. Can a lawyer help and what would the cost be?

Yes an attorney can help either to get the case dismissed, go to trial or get a better plea bargain than she could without an attorney. As to cost every attorney sets their own fees.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Your daughter is presumed innocent until proven guilty. The prosecutor needs to prove any allegations beyond a reasonable doubt. Yes, a lawyer can help and costs vary depending on how the lawyer charges for representation. Further, costs may be different depending on the location, a person's background, the charges, and whether the lawyer has any additional or specialized training, experience, and background regarding the particular type of criminal charge. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. It is worth a few phone calls find out the applicable local rate.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
Without knowing the facts it is difficult to answer your question but an attorney can like myself can usually help.
At the bare minimum, a lawyer may be able to obtain an optimal plea deal. However, your daughter may be offered diversion or some other informal disposition at her next hearing. You may want to hold off on the lawyer until after she receives a plea offer.
The advice of an attorney can be helpful in determining if the State has a case that can be prosecuted, and if so, to negotiate the outcome.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Riana Durrett
    Not only can a lawyer help defend against the charges, help to minimize penalties, help keep someone's record clean, but an attorney can even be helpful before charges have been filed. An attorney can help find out if an investigation is ongoing, if charges will be filed, and perhaps help avoid the filing of charges at all. Of course, there are no guarantees, but I always encourage potential defendants to consult an attorney as early as possible in any case.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    A lawyer can help your daughter especially by being able to negotiate the charge with whomever is prosecuting her. Perhaps there is a deferred sentencing program available that she can take advantage of. Lawyers who work in the community your daughter lives in would probably know of such a program and could recommend it and/or advocate for your daughter in court. Prosecutors and city attorneys are often more comfortable speaking to other lawyers rather than negotiating with unrepresented persons. Cost would vary depending on where the incident took place and who you decide to hire.
    D T Pham Associates, PLLC
    D T Pham Associates, PLLC | Duncan T Pham
    Yes, and it depends on the lawyer.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    An Attorney can help in many ways. First and foremost, an attorney is your legal guide during a difficult and confusing time. The first goal of any case is a dismissal. Only an attorney would be able to identify a violation of someones constitutional rights, and move to have the case dismissed. Outside of a dismissal, the general rule is to minimize damage. Often an attorney can press for a better resolution than a defendant could simply get on their own.
    Colucci and Associates
    Colucci and Associates | Paul Colucci
    Yes an attorney can help particularly if your daughter has a defense to the charge or if any evidence was obtained improperly.
    The answer often depend s on the facts of the case. Often, with no prior record it is possible to avoid any conviction with a Stay of Adjudication. You should consult with experienced legal counsel.
    What university and if it was MSU, might be able to get her off with no public record of conviction, although there will be a record of an arrest.
    Shane Law Office
    Shane Law Office | Robert J. Shane
    Possession of alcohol by a person under the age of 21 is a misdemeanor offense. It may be possible for an attorney to negotiate a continuance for dismissal of the charge against your daughter on the condition that she have no same or similar offenses in the next year and pay the costs of prosecution. If she complies with the conditions of the plea agreement, the charge against her would be dismissed in one year without a conviction on her record. The typical charge for misdemeanor legal representation is $2,500.00 through a pre-trial conference.
    The Olsinski Law Firm, PLLC
    The Olsinski Law Firm, PLLC | Justin C. Olsinski
    A lawyer should always be able to help. The cost would depend on the lawyer and what county she was charged in.
    If convicted of that offense your daughter will lose her driving privilege for a year. An attorney might be able to fashion a disposition that could prevent that. No guarantees though and the cost varies from attorney to attorney. In such things however you get what you pay for.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    There may be an illegal stop, the test equipment could be defective, complaint could be in err. I have won many MIP cases. The charges an attorney charge vary significantly. You should contact the best lawyer who does exclusively criminal defense by reputation in the area of the charges and have a meeting.
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    Yes, $500 to $1000, he could probably get the DA's office to drop the charge or at least have a civil settlement, with no police record.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    An attorney would help in that he/she would know the procedure of the court and possible plea bargains. Under the law, it is possible for your daughter to obtain a deferred sentence that would disappear from her public record once conditions were met. As for cost, most attorneys would charge an hourly rate for this type of matter.
    The lawyer may be able to get her consideration in some sort of diversion program. HTis would be a program where if she did what the court wanted then no record.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    I do not quote costs in emails. However, a good lawyer may be able to keep this off of her record, which in my opinion is worth quite a lot.
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC
    Furlong & Drewniak PLLC | Thaddeus Furlong, Esq.
    A good lawyer navigates the client through the criminal justice system knowing what to say and what NOT to say. One strategy for your daughter would be for your lawyer to ask the court to continue the case to allow your daughter to complete some community service and consider dismissing the case if she does not get into further trouble.
    Law Office of Craig E. Gibbs
    Law Office of Craig E. Gibbs | Craig Gibbs
    Yes, different prices out there.
    I am fairly sure that I can have the charges dismissed for $500 or possibly $750 depending on the number of appearances.
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
    Yes, an attorney can certainly help. The most important thing is that your daughter does not take an alcohol related conviction on her record. An attorney may be able to defend the charge against your daughter or at least negotiate a plea bargain that will avoid the conviction. Most attorneys will take this case for $500 or less. If you are within the jurisdictions where I normally practice I might be able to offer my services. Please feel free to contact me.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Yes, and attorney can help. Your daughter needs professional representation. You would not expect her to extract her tooth herself if it were decayed how can you expect her to understand the complexities of the criminal justice system? The cost varies but these are serious charges our office would charge a minimum of $1,500.00 and possibly more - but you get what you pay for.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    A good attorney can assist by preparing to fight the case the whole way. A good attorney will look for any of a number of reasons to get the case thrown out. Short of that a good attorney will also try to get the prosecution to dismiss the case or, in some cases, offer a plea deal that allows the accused to protect their good name and future. The price of a good attorney will vary according to the attorney and how much they will do, whether it be just helping you to plead guilty or fighting your case.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Absolutely. Given that it is a rather minor charge, an experienced attorney can often negotiate a deal with the prosecutor or Judge whereby a dismissal is earned.
    I would never recommend going to criminal court without a lawyer. Lawyers will most often know more rights than the typical defendant. It is not uncommon for a person to plead guilty to a charge that an experienced lawyer could have dismissed. The fees vary from one lawyer to the next. If you are in the Mobile, AL area, call my secretary Chrissy to schedule an appointment to see me. My hourly rate is $150. I realize that is a lot of money, but relative to others in this area, that is still on the low end. Further, a criminal history and personal liberty are not things that you want to scrimp on. Stay well.
    Yes an attorney will help. How much it will help will depend or the facts of the case. As to the cost that too depends on the facts and also the attorney you choose. The highest price attorney is not always the best.
    Srai Law Office
    Srai Law Office | Gurjit Singh Srai, Esq.
    In your case an attorney might be able to either get the charges reduced or dismissed. At times, the district attorney might willing to offer a diversion program.
    Your daughter should have a realistic conversation with an attorney. There may or may not be issues regarding the authorities contact with her. There may also be issues as to how the case is handled which could have an impact on such minor things as a driving license.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    The cost of a lawyer varies from county to county, city to city, and lawyer to lawyer. You will have to contact the individual lawyers to determine but you should be able to get a lawyer for under $1,000 with no problem. (Probably much less than that.) A lawyer can help guide your daughter to the best conclusion such as a deferred prosecution. Some judges are very reluctant to give these special probations which allow for a future dismissal and the expunction of the record. Lawyers can often talk the judge into giving the deferred when there is a reluctance to do so.
    You do not give me enough facts, but generally, I would say an attorney is very beneficial. Not only can the attorney evaluate your daughters case and quite possibly negotiate a resolution, but you should also consider the following factors: if your daughter is a student and receiving scholarship, loans, or financial aid, a criminal conviction could jeopardize all of these. As for costs, it again depends upon the case and your daughters expectations. Attorneys can be expensive, but consider the long term consequences of trying to do it on your own.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    I highly reccomend hiring an attorney.He/She deals in these types of matters everyday and knows all options and how to obtain the best results.Pricing is different depending on the market.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Hello- Most attorneys can lessen the punishment for such offenses. Cost can range from approximately $850 to $1500.
    The fee is between your daughter and the attorney she hires to represent her. Although the case is not the most serious charge on the books, representation with counsel will protect her by withholding a conviction which could affect her in her future life.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    A lawyer can always be a help with any criminal charge. The charge isn't the most serious, but it is best to avoid anything on a person's record if possible, particularly the younger they are. Lawyer's fees vary from attorney to attorney, but you are likely looking at something at a minimum of $500 up to possibly $1200.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    It would be worth the money for a consultation to see if there were defenses and see how the procedures work.
    The cost of an attorney depends on the facts, the location of the Court and the experience of the attorney. An attorney might be able to spare your daughter from having a record of a conviction.
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin | Daniel K Martin
    Hiring a lawyer is almost always the best thing to do. I don't just say that because I am a lawyer and my son's college tuition is high, I say that because it is true. A lawyer will review the reports and let you know if there is a chance that you can get the case dismissed. Or some other technique that could reduce the expense and hassle for your daughter. As far as cost, each attorney sets their own fees however for a case like this i would probably charge around $1,500. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
    A lawyer can usually help resolve a case in a fashion that their clients are thankful for. Every case is different as is every client. With every case there are options and consequences that go with those options. There are decisions to be made. A lawyer helps the client navigate the legal system; advocates for the client and safeguards the client's interests. In short, is better to get a lawyer than to wish later than you had!
    She may not need a lawyer for this. It may just be a fine. You should check it out. But if it's a criminal offense which carries a potential term in jail then you should hire a lawyer.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    Attorney fees are based on numerous factors, including the seriousness of the charge, the complexity if the case and the time needed to properly defend the client. An experienced criminal attorney will assist in obtaining the best outcome possible.
    Keyser Law Firm
    Keyser Law Firm | Christopher W. Keyser
    The biggest concern for your daughter will not be jail time but rather keeping her criminal record clean. She realistically will not be looking at any jail time. A prosecutor probably will not automatically offer a resolution that keeps her record clean. A defense attorney can help ensure this comes through. Costs vary by attorney throughout the metro area.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Yes. The cost would approximately be around $750.
    Ramsell & Associates LLC
    Ramsell & Associates LLC | Donald Ramsell
    Your daughter will lose her license for 1 year if convicted. A lawyer will know how to avoid or reduce this suspension.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Yes, an attorney can help to examine the case for any factual, legal or other defenses. If everything is stacked up against her, an attorney can try to negotiate for a dismissal or other alternative resolution that doesn't end up with an alcohol related conviction. If she's convicted of minor in possession, she will lose her license for a year. How much will this cost? That is up to the attorney and whatever fees you agree upon. It's not the most complex case in the world, but the exact fees will need to be discussed with the attorneys you consult with.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    The facts may require an attorney. It depends on how clearly she was in possession or consuming or not. An attorney can also help educate her so that she stays out of trouble in the future. In addition, if she is a college student, there will likely be student conduct issues to deal with. Many times people can handle a first (and only) on their own, but last school year, I helped a client get his 2 cases dismissed and dismiss the university case. This would not have happened without an attorney. Cost varies with ability and experience. I usually charge about $1500. My goal is to help students graduate without further problems and without getting suspended by the school for what is normal behavior. Often, I get more of the real story than parents.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    Depends on the court and her priors. But yes, a lawyer can help keep this off her record and even expunge or seal it.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    An attorney can analyze the legal and factual issues in your daughter's case and negotiate a resolution with the prosecuting attorney to try to avoid a criminal conviction. Consult with an attorney to inquire about fees.
    Wallin & Klarich
    Wallin & Klarich | Stephen D. Klarich
    Absolutely. She needs an attorney to save her license. If she is under 21, admitting guilt will result in a 1 year drivers license suspension. You have to get counsel.
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
    Lawyers can help. It is always a good idea going to court with a private attorney who has been working on your case prior to court. If you cannot afford an attorney, then its you should most definitely get a public defender. If your daughter is being charged with an infraction, that don't worry about getting an attorney. You really don't want her having a misdemeanor on her record at such a young age.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney