How are we going to pay for our kids' college education after a divorce and where to start? 6 Answers as of July 01, 2015

Each of the parties shall pay the expenses of the college education on children based on their proportional earnings in the calendar year such expenses are incurred. My wife does not work however, I, the ex husband, does.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You pay for it in the same ratio as the ratio in your child support order. I assume income was imputed to her.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/1/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You seem to say your are already divorced. Did you discuss this matter with your lawyer in drafting your Marital Settlement Agreement? In this day and age, it should be on any divorce lawyer's checklist of matters to review. You can enter into any agreement which makes sense to you. It is best to put it in writingand not to use just the first draft. It is also best to be specific about the classes of expense you are paying, and some maximum amount you will pay. And also the maximum number of years for which you will pay. Best of all: consult an experienced lawyer. It's almost always worth it.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/1/2015
John Russo | John Russo
Why would you agree to that clause if your wife did not work? As it stands now, and not knowing more about the facts of your case, it would seem you are on the hook for 100% of expenses if any child is in college right now.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 7/1/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
It seems self-evident from your question that if your wife does not work, her contribution to the college fund would be minimal. This question deserves the attention of an experienced family law attorney in an office consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2015
Peggy M. Raddatz
Peggy M. Raddatz | Peggy M. Raddatz
If you do not understand the wording in your divorce documents you need to talk to your lawyer and get a full understanding. Don't agree to any language you do not understand. If your wife has never worked and she has no assets it is likely you will pay for most or all of the children's college education. If that is not what you agree to at all go in for an in person talk with your lawyer. If there is s marital home or 401k often assets can be set aside off the top of the marital estate for college. The parties gave to agree to this type of arrangement.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/30/2015
Click to View More Answers: